Animal Carriage Policy
- Except in the case of a person travelling with a guide dog, all other animals (e.g. dogs and cats) must be appropriately caged and a carriage fee is applicable.
- You will be required by D.O.A. (quarantine) regulations to obtain the necessary paperwork for any animal travelling south from Thursday Island to Seisia.
Luggage & Dangerous Goods
- If your luggage includes more than one piece, excess charges apply.
- Due to Workplace Health and Safety regulations, Peddells crew cannot carry or assist with luggage that exceeds 20kg or one third of a cubic metre in size.
- Passengers are responsible for managing their own luggage to the ferry departure point.
- Passengers checked luggage not to include electronic equipment, phones, cameras or breakables.
- Passengers are responsible for carriage of their personal effects
- All hand luggage is to be stowed so not to restrict access to safety equipment or block aisles or emergency exits.
- Peddells takes no responsibility for any loss or damage to luggage at check-in or onboard the ferries
- No luggage or other items are to be left over night onboard or at Peddells office
PEDDELLS DANGEROUS GOODS POLICY
To comply with the Dangerous Goods Code, Peddells vessels are not permitted to carry the following as freight or luggage:
- flammable liquids in portable containers will not be carried (eg. boat tanks, jerry cans, resin, paints & thinners).
- wet cell batteries
- cement and plaster bags
- oil based paint
- machinery (unless brand new)
- sulphuric acid
- industrial cleaners
- pool chlorine
- used paint tins
- old tyres
- radioactive materials
WHAT WE CAN’T CARRY
Peddells reserves the right to refuse to carry luggage that does not comply with our Luggage Policy or Dangerous Goods Code or is deemed offensive in nature: The Skipper’s decision is final.
The following items are not acceptable:
- items that are damaged, insufficiently secured or protected
- household items and appliances
- plands and/or plant matter
- perishable items insufficiently packed
Terms and Conditions
By purchasing a ticket, Sea-Cat Charters Pty Ltd ACN 010 551 925 (trading as Peddells Thursday Island Tours) passengers agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions of travel.
- PLEASE NOTE NO UNACCOMPANIED CHILDREN (14 years and under) PERMITTED TO TRAVEL
BETWEEN THURDAY ISLAND AND SEISIA ON THE FERRY SERVICE
ONLY ADULT (18 YRS AND OLDER) ARE PERMITTED TO ACCOMPANY UNACCOMPANIED CHILDREN
- The passenger shall present themselves at the ferry a minimum of fifteen (15) minutes prior to their service’s scheduled departure time. The master and crew reserve the right to refuse carriage to person arriving after this time.
- Peddells staff reserve the right to refuse travel to any passenger with an invalid or illegible ticket.
- The passenger shall not board, or alight from, or attempt to board or alight from the ferry whilst it is in motion, or without permission from the crew. Civil penalties may apply.
- Department of Agriculture restricts the carriage of certain items from Thursday Island in the Torres Strait to Seisia and mainland Australia. It is the passenger’s responsibility to contact D.O.A. to check that the items they are carrying are not prohibited.
- Departure times on Ferry, Charter or Tours are not guaranteed and do not form part of the passenger’s contract of carriage. Peddells may need to change or cancel departures or schedules.
- Luggage and freight will be carried in accordance with Peddells Luggage Policy and Peddells Dangerous Goods Policy.
- Animals and pets are carried in accordance with the Peddells Animal Carriage Policy and Australian Quarantine regulations.
- Children under 14 years of age must be accompanied by an adult (18+) throughout the journey.
- Children 4 years and under for whom a fare has not been paid may be required to seat the child on the passenger’s lap during the voyage. There is no baggage allocation for child or infant.
- Activities such as cycling, roller-skating, skateboarding and other such potentially hazardous behaviour are strictly prohibited within the boarding area or onboard the ferry. Criminal charges may apply.
- The passenger shall not perform upon any musical instrument, distribute any advertising materials or offer any product for sale within the onboard the ferry or tour.
- Peddells does not permit alcohol on their ferries or tour buses.
- Smoking is strictly prohibited onboard ferries and tour buses.
- Verbally or physically abusive or threatening behaviour of any nature is strictly prohibited onboard the ferry. Criminal charges may apply.
- Bus departure times for passengers also travelling Seisia to TI on the ferry that morning, will be advised enroute to Thursday Island. Others should contact Peddells during office hours of Mon to Fri 9am to 12 noon and 12:30 to 2.30 pm and no later than 24 hrs prior to confirm their departure time. Please note the 9.20 time on tickets containing TI Bus is indicative and may change on the day.
Schedule Alterations, Disruptions and Cancellations
- Services are subject to weather and tide conditions.
- Bus Tour services are seasonal
- Minimum numbers apply to some tour services.
- Connections with other services can not be guaranteed.
- Peddells reserve the right to alter schedules, rates and/or substitute vessels/vehicles and utilise the services of external operators and contractors at any time without incurring any liability.
- Fares, times, schedules and routes are subject to alteration, without prior notice, at the discretion of the Company
- The Company shall not be liable for any loss or damage which may arise in the event of cancellation of this service or the abandonment of the service during the course thereof (should the Company or any of its servants or agents decide that such abandonment is necessary) or of any deviation or delay in any service arising from any cause whatsoever. In any such event the Company will not be liable in any way for consequential damage including, but not limited to, the cost of accommodation or for any alternative means of travel which may arise and any additional expense so arising shall be the liability of the passenger.
- Sea-Cat Charters is not a common carrier and reserves the rights to refuse to carry any passenger, baggage or goods at its discretion.
- As a passenger, you agree that you will accept the delivery of services from Sea-Cat Charters at your own risk.
- The Company accepts no responsibility for any injury and/or death of a passenger travelling on this service whether caused by negligence, malfunction to the vessel or other cause except to the extent that exclusion of such liability is prohibited by law.
- We strongly recommend that passengers take out travel insurance to cover luggage and personal belongings as well as any unforeseen circumstances that may arise (including cancellation fees, missed connections, medical and curtailment expenses, early departure from holiday due to death or illness etc).
Please note: If any third-party or supplier costs change before the new travel dates, additional costs may be incurred.
As at November 2022