Peddells Thursday Island Tours is a wholly Australian owned company that provides a year round scheduled passenger ferry service connecting the little port of SEISIA at the top of Cape York with the commercial and administrative hub of Torres Strait, Thursday Island (traditional name Waibene, also known locally as T.I.).
Perched on an international shipping lane, the island is steeped in history. Once known as a Port of Pearls during the heady days of the pearling industry, later playing a pivotal role during WWII and today continuing to develop as a busy trading port and regional administrative hub. The island’s story is intertwined with the rich cultural history of Torres Strait, a place that has to be experienced first hand, an essential experience and must see for visitors, an island township a close knit community showcasing the region’s traditions and culture through art and dance at local cafes, public art, galleries and private studios.
Cape York 4WD visitors can go further and top off their holiday with a daytrip or overnight stay on Thursday Island by catching Peddells’ ferry from Seisia Jetty and arriving on T.I in just over an hour!
More about our roots; Peddells Thursday Island Tours has it’s origins in the boat building and pearling industry, in 1980 however the family branched out and eventually became a full service passenger ferry operation furthermore offering visitors a comprehensive bus tour of Thursday Island with local guides and creating a gift store on the jetty with a focus on supporting local Torres Strait and PNG artisans.
The vision to establish a regular ferry connecting T.I. to Cape York, focused on improving life for community members that were regularly crossing the expanse of ocean in dinghies and provide a safer and far more comfortable e alternative. With a wealth of knowledge of these seaways Peddells were able to create an improved experience and put to work their generations of maritime experience to design and build large modern passenger vessels specifically suited to variable local conditions and able to service the region year round.
Peddells Ferry Service has over 55 000 ocean crossings between Thursday Island and Seisia and continues to train local crew promoting them to their own command. With generations of local maritime knowledge and traditional roots in Torres Strait, Peddells have an enduring commitment to providing the best possible service now and into the future. For the most comfortable and enjoyable way to cross from Cape York with Thursday Island, make Peddells ferry and Thursday Island guided T.I. tour your first choice.
“Essentially ocean crossings are at the heart of Peddells TI Tours DNA with our family ancestry spanning from Inner, Western and Central Islands of Torres Strait.”
Departure Points : Engineers Jetty, Thursday Island and Seisia Jetty on Cape York.
Distance : Thursday Island to Seisia 30 km (approx 18 nm)
Trip Duration : 1 hr 10 mins approx
CARRIAGE OF GOODS PEDDELLS FERRY
Additional Information and Conditions
Animal Carriage Policy
- Except in the case of a person travelling with a guide dog, all other animals (e.g. dogs and cats) must be appropriately caged and a carriage fee is applicable.
- You will be required by D.O.A. (quarantine) regulations to obtain the necessary paperwork for any animal travelling south from Thursday Island to Seisia.
Luggage & Dangerous Goods
PEDDELLS LUGGAGE POLICY
- If your luggage includes more than one piece, excess charges may apply.
- Due to Workplace Health and Safety regulations, Peddells crew cannot carry or assist with luggage that exceeds 20kg or one cubic metre in size.
- Passengers are responsible for managing their own luggage to the ferry departure point.
- All hand luggage is to be stowed in accordance with crew’s directions and should not restrict access to safety equipment or block aisles or emergency exits.
- Peddells takes no responsibility for any loss or damage to luggage at check-in or onboard the ferries
- No luggage or other items are to be left over night onboard or at Peddells office
PEDDELLS DANGEROUS GOODS POLICY
To comply with the Dangerous Goods Code, Peddells vessels are not permitted to carry the following as freight or luggage:
- flammable liquids in portable containers will not be carried (eg. boat tanks, jerry cans, paints & thinners).
- wet cell batteries
- cement and plaster bags
- oil based paint
- machinery (unless brand new)
- sulphuric acid
- industrial cleaners
- pool chlorine
- used paint tins
- old tyres
- radioactive materials
Peddells reserves the right to refuse to carry luggage that does not comply with our Luggage Policy or Dangerous Goods Code or is deemed offensive in nature: The Skipper’s decision is final.
Terms and Conditions
By purchasing a ticket, Sea-Cat Charters Pty Ltd ACN 010 551 925 (trading as Peddells Thursday Island Tours) passengers agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions of travel.
- Pre-payment is required to confirm a seat on these services. Reservations are essential.
- In the event of a cancellation, the 30% administration fee will be incurred. Fares cancelled after this time are non-refundable. Group bookings are required to provide 72 hrs notice in case of cancellation.
- Special and Discounted Ferry and or Bus Tour Fares have special conditions, these fares can not be cancelled, changed or refunded. Name changes not permitted.
- Boarding is strictly 15 minutes prior to departure late arrivals may not be permitted.
- If you are travelling as a group or with other travellers please indicate this to us well inadvance in order for us to endeavour to place you together. This is not always possible due to logistics but every attempt will be made.
- In the case of postponed travel, a new date and time must be nominated by the customer so that the reservation and credit may be recorded in the booking system and on the ticket, the new date must be within 6 months of the original booking date. Fees apply.
- The fare for a passenger no-show, (a passenger who neither changes nor cancels the reservation and fails to make his scheduled departure) is deemed forfeited at the time of the no-show and is non-refundable.
- Passengers who have booked return travel, yet are deemed to be no-show on one leg of their journey, will automatically have the return leg of the journey cancelled unless they contact Peddells office in 24 hrs in advance of no show on the first leg or a return journey
- Card Payment Fees. A card payment fee applies per passenger per booking when you pay by Credit Card. The current Card Payment Fee, applicable per passenger per booking is payment card transaction fee 2.0 %. Should this booking be made manually (email or phone) a booking fee of $15 pp also applies.
- Booking Changes, Cancellation, Refunds. If you have booked and paid via a third party ie. authorized agent and the payment of your fare has not yet been forwarded on to us, please note that you will be directed to deal direct with the agent. Please initially contact us so we may check the payment status of your booking.
- To comply with Queensland Transport regulations, all concession card holders will be asked to present their card either when purchasing their ticket at our office or, alternatively, upon boarding the vessel. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in Peddells securing the balance of payment prior to departure. Concession fares from 1/4/14 yet to be validated.
- The passenger shall present themselves at the ferry a minimum of fifteen (15) minutes prior to their service’s scheduled departure time. The master and crew reserve the right to refuse carriage to person arriving after this time. The gangway is withdrawn 5 minutes prior to departure in preparation for steaming away at the departure time. This may vary due to tides and weather and other circumstances. The ferry is under no requirement to wait for late arrivals, late being later than 15 mins prior to departure.
- Peddells staff reserve the right to refuse travel to any passenger with an invalid or illegible ticket.
- The passenger shall not board, or alight from, or attempt to board or alight from the ferry whilst it is in motion, or without permission from the crew. Civil penalties may apply.
- Department of Agriculture restricts the carriage of certain items from Thursday Island in the Torres Strait to Seisia and mainland Australia. It is the passenger’s responsibility to contact D.O.A. to check that the items they are carrying are not prohibited.
- 2021 new restrictions are currently being introduced for some items travelling in the other direction, mainland to Torres Strait. Please check direct with Biosecurity as this is evolving.
- Luggage and freight will be carried in accordance with Peddells Luggage Policy and Peddells Dangerous Goods Policy.
- Animals and pets are carried in accordance with the Peddells Animal Carriage Policy and Australian Quarantine regulations.
- Children under 10 years of age must be accompanied by an adult throughout the jouney.
- Passengers travelling with children under 5 years of age for whom a fare has not been paid may be required to seat the child on the passenger’s lap during the voyage. There is no baggage allocation in such case.
- Activities such as cycling, roller-skating, skateboarding and other such potentially hazardous behaviour are strictly prohibited within the boarding area or onboard the ferry. Criminal charges may apply.
- The passenger shall not perform upon any musical instrument, distribute any advertising materials or offer any product for sale within the onboard the ferry or tour.
- Peddells does not permit alcohol on their ferries or tour buses.
- Smoking is strictly prohibited onboard ferries and tour buses.
- Verbally or physically abusive or threatening behaviour of any nature is strictly prohibited onboard the ferry. Criminal charges may apply.
- Bus departure times for passengers also travelling Seisia to TI on the ferry that morning, will be advised enroute to Thursday Island. Others should contact Peddells during office hours of Mon to Fri 9am to 2.30 pm and no later than 24 hrs prior to confirm their departure time. Please note th 9.30 time on tickets containing TI Bus is indicative and may change on the day.
Schedule Alterations, Disruptions and Cancellations
- Services are subject to weather conditions.
- Minimum numbers apply to some tour services.
- Connections with other services are not guaranteed.
- Peddells reserve the right to alter schedules, rates and/or substitute vessels/vehicles and utilise the services of external operators and contractors at any time without incurring any liability.
- Fares, times, schedules and routes are subject to alteration, without prior notice, at the discretion of the Company
- The Company shall not be liable for any loss or damage which may arise in the event of cancellation of this service or the abandonment of the service during the course thereof (should the Company or any of its servants or agents decide that such abandonment is necessary) or of any deviation or delay in any service arising from any cause whatsoever. In any such event the Company will not be liable in any way for consequential damage including, but not limited to, the cost of accommodation or for any alternative means of travel which may arise and any additional expense so arising shall be the liability of the passenger.
- Sea-Cat Charters is not a common carrier and reserves the rights to refuse to carry any passenger, baggage or goods at its discretion.
- As a passenger, you agree that you will accept the delivery of services from Sea-Cat Charters at your own risk.
- The Company accepts no responsibility for any injury and/or death of a passenger travelling on this service whether caused by negligence, malfunction to the vessel or other cause except to the extent that exclusion of such liability is prohibited by law.
- We strongly recommend that passengers take out travel insurance to cover luggage and personal belongings as well as any unforeseen circumstances that may arise (including cancellation fees, missed connections, medical and curtailment expenses, early departure from holiday due to death or illness etc).
Sea-Cat Charters Pty. Ltd. trading as Peddells Thursday Island Tours.