Travel with the locally owned family business that in 1980 created a safer and far more comfortable and enjoyable alternative to the white knuckle travel in small open boats crossing the open water between Seisia (Cape York ) and Thursday Island (Torres Strait). With unparalleled knowledge of these seaways, Peddells were able to create an improved experience with purpose built and designed large modern passenger vessels to operate year round. For the ultimate experience book Peddells informative guided Bus Tour of Thursday Island and island’s long and colourful history will come to life, making a trip of a lifetime not just more memorable but more meaningful by educating, informing and entertaining through sharing our ancestors stories of this unique island group.
Peddells Ferry Service has over 45 000 ocean crossings between Thursday Island and Seisia and has trained many crew over the years promoting them to their own command. With generations of local maritime knowledge and traditional roots in Torres Strait, Peddells have an enduring commitment to providing the best possible service now and into the future. For the most comfortable and enjoyable way to cross from Cape York with Thursday Island, make Peddells ferry and Thursday Island guided tour your first choice.
Departure Points : Engineers Jetty, Thursday Island and Seisia Jetty on Cape York
Distance : Thursday Island to Seisia 30 km (approx 18 nm)
Trip Duration : 1 hr 10 mins approx
Additional Information and Conditions
Animal Carriage Policy
- Except in the case of a person travelling with a guide dog, all other animals (e.g. dogs and cats) must be appropriately caged and a carriage fee is applicable.
- You will be required by D.O.A. (quarantine) regulations to obtain the necessary paperwork for any animal travelling south from Thursday Island to Seisia.
Luggage & Dangerous Goods
PEDDELLS LUGGAGE POLICY
- If your luggage includes more than one piece, excess charges may apply.
- Due to Workplace Health and Safety regulations, Peddells crew cannot carry or assist with luggage that exceeds 20kg or one cubic metre in size.
- Passengers are responsible for managing their own luggage to the ferry departure point.
- All hand luggage is to be stowed in accordance with crew’s directions and should not restrict access to safety equipment or block aisles or emergency exits.
- Peddells takes no responsibility for any loss or damage to luggage at check-in or onboard the ferries
- No luggage or other items are to be left over night onboard or at Peddells office
PEDDELLS DANGEROUS GOODS POLICY
To comply with the Dangerous Goods Code, Peddells vessels are not permitted to carry the following as freight or luggage:
- flammable liquids in portable containers will not be carried (eg. boat tanks, jerry cans, paints & thinners).
- wet cell batteries
- cement and plaster bags
- oil based paint
- machinery (unless brand new)
- sulphuric acid
- industrial cleaners
- pool chlorine
- used paint tins
- old tyres
- radioactive materials
Peddells reserves the right to refuse to carry luggage that does not comply with our Luggage Policy or Dangerous Goods Code or is deemed offensive in nature: The Skipper’s decision is final.
Terms and Conditions
By purchasing a ticket, Sea-Cat Charters Pty Ltd ACN 010 551 925 (trading as Peddells Thursday Island Tours) passengers agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions of travel.
- Pre-payment is required to confirm a seat on these services. Reservations are essential.
- In the event of a cancellation, the 30% administration fee will be incurred is waived under current circumstances however this ‘peace of mind’ waiver does still require that the cancellation occurs prior to 24 hours prior to travel (within office hours). Fares cancelled after this time are non-refundable. Group bookings are required to provide additional notice of 72 hrs as advised upon booking.
- Special and Discounted Ferry and or Bus Tour Fares have special conditions, these fares can not be cancelled, changed or refunded. Name changes not permitted.
- Boarding is strictly 15 minutes prior to departure late arrivals may not be permitted.
- If you are travelling as a group or with other travellers please indicate this to us well inadvance in order for us to endeavour to place you together. This is not always possible due to logistics but every attempt will be made.
- In the case of postponed travel, a new date and time must be nominated by the customer so that the reservation and credit may be recorded in the booking system and on the ticket, the new date must be within 6 months of the original booking date. Fees apply.
- The fare for a passenger no-show, (a passenger who neither changes nor cancels the reservation and fails to make his scheduled departure) is deemed forfeited at the time of the no-show and is non-refundable.
- Passengers who have booked return travel, yet are deemed to be no-show on one leg of their journey, will automatically have the return leg of the journey cancelled unless they contact Peddells office in 24 hrs in advance of no show on the first leg or a return journey
- Card Payment Fees. A card payment fee applies per passenger per booking when you pay by Credit Card. The current Card Payment Fee, applicable per passenger per booking is 1.5% (per transaction) and via on board payments 1.9%.
- Booking Changes, Cancellation, Refunds. If you have booked and paid via a third party ie. authorized agent and the payment of your fare has not yet been forwarded on to us, please note that you will be directed to deal direct with the agent. Please initially contact us so we may check the payment status of your booking.
- Our ‘Peace of Mind’ COVID Amendment Policy is effective immediately for new and existing bookings, from December 8th 2021 – we reserve the right to change, modify or otherwise alter this policy at any time without notice. This policy waives cancellation fees which applied to cancellation up to 24 hrs prior to travel. Please note this policy excludes changes inside the period 24 hrs prior to travel. Please note travel changes, cancellation or no show within 24hrs of travel are not refundable. Tour Groups and Group travel are required to provide a minimum cancellation/change notification of 72 hrs prior.
- To comply with Queensland Transport regulations, all concession card holders will be asked to present their card either when purchasing their ticket at our office or, alternatively, upon boarding the vessel. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in Peddells securing the balance of payment prior to departure. Concession fares from 1/4/14 yet to be validated.
- The passenger shall present themselves at the ferry a minimum of fifteen (15) minutes prior to their service’s scheduled departure time. The master and crew reserve the right to refuse carriage to person arriving after this time.
- Peddells staff reserve the right to refuse travel to any passenger with an invalid or illegible ticket.
- The passenger shall not board, or alight from, or attempt to board or alight from the ferry whilst it is in motion, or without permission from the crew. Civil penalties may apply.
- Department of Agriculture restricts the carriage of certain items from Thursday Island in the Torres Strait to Seisia and mainland Australia. It is the passenger’s responsibility to contact D.O.A. to check that the items they are carrying are not prohibited.
- 2021 new restrictions are currently being introduced for some items travelling in the other direction, mainland to Torres Strait. Please check direct with Biosecurity as this is evolving.
- Luggage and freight will be carried in accordance with Peddells Luggage Policy and Peddells Dangerous Goods Policy.
- Animals and pets are carried in accordance with the Peddells Animal Carriage Policy and Australian Quarantine regulations.
- Children under 10 years of age must be accompanied by an adult throughout the jouney.
- Passengers travelling with children under 5 years of age for whom a fare has not been paid may be required to seat the child on the passenger’s lap during the voyage. There is no baggage allocation in such case.
- Activities such as cycling, roller-skating, skateboarding and other such potentially hazardous behaviour are strictly prohibited within the boarding area or onboard the ferry. Criminal charges may apply.
- The passenger shall not perform upon any musical instrument, distribute any advertising materials or offer any product for sale within the onboard the ferry or tour.
- Peddells does not permit alcohol on their ferries or tour buses.
- Smoking is strictly prohibited onboard ferries and tour buses.
- Verbally or physically abusive or threatening behaviour of any nature is strictly prohibited onboard the ferry. Criminal charges may apply.
- Bus departure times for passengers also travelling Seisia to TI on the ferry that morning, will be advised enroute to Thursday Island. Others should contact Peddells during office hours of Mon to Fri 9am to 2.30 pm and no later than 24 hrs prior to confirm their departure time. Please note th 9.30 time on tickets containing TI Bus is indicative and may change on the day.
Schedule Alterations, Disruptions and Cancellations
- Services are subject to weather conditions.
- Minimum numbers apply to some tour services.
- Connections with other services are not guaranteed.
- Peddells reserve the right to alter schedules, rates and/or substitute vessels/vehicles and utilise the services of external operators and contractors at any time without incurring any liability.
- Fares, times, schedules and routes are subject to alteration, without prior notice, at the discretion of the Company
- The Company shall not be liable for any loss or damage which may arise in the event of cancellation of this service or the abandonment of the service during the course thereof (should the Company or any of its servants or agents decide that such abandonment is necessary) or of any deviation or delay in any service arising from any cause whatsoever. In any such event the Company will not be liable in any way for consequential damage including, but not limited to, the cost of accommodation or for any alternative means of travel which may arise and any additional expense so arising shall be the liability of the passenger.
- Sea-Cat Charters is not a common carrier and reserves the rights to refuse to carry any passenger, baggage or goods at its discretion.
- As a passenger, you agree that you will accept the delivery of services from Sea-Cat Charters at your own risk.
- The Company accepts no responsibility for any injury and/or death of a passenger travelling on this service whether caused by negligence, malfunction to the vessel or other cause except to the extent that exclusion of such liability is prohibited by law.
- We strongly recommend that passengers take out travel insurance to cover luggage and personal belongings as well as any unforeseen circumstances that may arise (including cancellation fees, missed connections, medical and curtailment expenses, early departure from holiday due to death or illness etc).
Sea-Cat Charters Pty. Ltd. trading as Peddells Thursday Island Tours.